A New Year’s Eve last sad farewell to some inspiring people who ascended this year…
- Malcolm McLaren – who helped make my teens the best music decade possible
- Tony Curtis – cinema doesn’t get much better than “I’m Spartacus!”
- Jean Simmons – great though the Love Theme in the aforementioned gladiatorial epic is (especially as played by Bill Evans), her highpoint for me was as Sargeant Sarah Brown, the Salvation Army babe in Guys & Doll – and she had another brush with genius in Powell & Pressburger’s Black Narcissus. She was technically a local, born in Crouch End.
- Dennis Hopper – Apolcalypse Now is the best film made in my lifetime and Dennis played his part to perfection
- Eric Rohmer – the one and only time I went to see a film in the cinema on two consecutive nights was for Les Nuits de la Pleine Lune (Full Moon in Paris) at the now dead indy cinema in Camden High Street whose name sadly I forget now (think it belonged to Artificial Eye)
- Harry Carpenter – his connection with Frank Bruno was heart-warming
- J.D. Salinger – Catcher is something really special